Changing the world, one home at a time…

landlords information

Rent & Collection Sevice
: £475 initial sign on fee + 14% of monthly rental income*
Tenant Locator Service: £600 per property*
Prices are effective January 2017 following the Hammond statement November 2016.            
*terms apply.

The “How to Rent” Guide – the legal checklist for renting in England (for England only) - October 1st 2015
Effective from October 1st 2015 - A new tenant should always receive a Department of Local Government and Communities How to Rent Guide at the start of their tenancy from their lettings agent which gives practical advice about what to do before and during a let. This mandatory Guide which the tenant must confirm they have seen at the start of a new tenancy is part of the 123let.com Right to Rent application process for prospective Tenants.

Gas Safety
A Gas Safety Record (GSR) must be in place to ensure that all gas appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. It must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Register engineer. This needs to be checked every 12 months. 123let.com removes the stress by arranging this for you.
Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms  (for England only) - What is the new legislation? 
From 1 October 2015 the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 requires private sector landlords to have:
  • At least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties, even where only a bathroom is located 
  • A carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (i.e. a wood burning stove, a coal fire, an open fire place or where biomass is used as fuel).
What this could mean to you. 
  • For any new or relet tenancy beginning on or after 1 October 2015, you, or someone representing you, must check that the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms, as requested, are in working order on the FIRST Day of the tenancy.
  • For any existing let, you’ll need to ensure that alarms are fitted in the properties with effect from 1 October. 
  • From 1 October 2015, once the alarms are fitted, you’ll need to make your tenants aware that it is their responsibility to check the alarms are in working order on a regular basis. The Department for Community and Local Government recommend that this is on a monthly basis although this is not enforceable. And, if they are not working properly, they will need to understand how to report the fault to you. 
Landlords and Legionnaires: How to protect your Tenants!
When you buy a property to let or rent your own home, probably the last thing on your mind is to check whether there is a chance of your tenants getting sick through Legionnaires disease. Normally we only hear about incidences in hospitals or places where there are lots of people in residence. However, you might not know that as a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants to make sure your water supply is working properly. 
What is Legionella?
This is an illness a bit like pneumonia. It's relatively rare, especially in residential homes, but we need to take care as if it does develop, then it can be fatal. People catch the illness from hot and cold water heating systems including storage tanks which aren't functioning properly or have been stagnant for some time. The result is bacteria can develop and lead to a tenant inhaling infected small droplets of water contained in the air.
What checks can you carry out?
You can carry out your own risk assessment as long as you are considered to be a 'competent person'. From the HSE's perspective, this means you need to know about the sources of legionella, what precautions to take and how to maintain and control systems to minimise the risk. You need to identify the risks so you can do what's required to prevent Legionnaires disease developing. Main things to check will be showers, water tanks and hot water systems. The other thing to bear in mind is identifying if you have a vulnerable tenant. According to the Health and Safety Executive some tenants are more susceptible to catching Legionnaires' disease than others. People considered vulnerable are over the age of 45, smokers or heavy drinkers, or those suffering from respiratory or kidney disease or immune system problems. if you have not completed the relevant training then you are not classed as a Competent person and will require a inspection accordingly to avoid heavy fines and possible custodial sentence.
Example of checks include:
1. Sources of contamination such as a water tank, showers
2. Breakdowns which can allow the bacteria to develop and cause a problem when restarted
3. Use of disinfection
4. Water temperature testing & monitoring
5. Dead-legs
What can you do?
The likelihood of this happening in your property is pretty small, however, it can be quite devastating if it does. So, when buying any heating system, or things like showers, it's worth asking the manufacturer and plumber or engineer how they can ensure bacteria doesn't develop. Another time to be cautious is if the heating system has broken down and it takes a while to fix it or if you have been renovating a property, so always have checks done in these circumstances. Finally, if you ever come across your tenant with flu like symptoms: so coughs and colds, headaches and muscle pain. In severe cases it may lead to mental confusion.

What can 123let.com do for you?

As managing your property, this is the kind of thing we are aware of, so we take it into account when letting your property and organise a Legionnaires Assessment Inspection (LAI) by a certified competent person trained to the highest standards which is chargeable, recommend any changes to the heating and water systems and provide the required report.

Minimum Requirements by the Landlord for the rental property
If you are about to rent your property, the housing act requires that you must provide and maintain a minimum standard of habitable provision. There must be at least, a fully fitted operational cooker in good working order (complete with a gas safety certificate if gas fuelled). Adequate floor coverings in all rooms, adequate window coverings in all rooms, open letter box for receiving mail, running hot water at all time, hygienic and adequate sanitation (toilet/washing etc) electric lighting to all rooms, fire detection equipment (tested and working), a fire risk assessment completed by a competent person, a legionella risk assessment by a competent person, a fitted sealed 10 year battery carbon monoxide detection if the property has solid fuel heating, fitted sealed 10 year battery life smoke detectors on each floor, A EPC (energy performance certificate) - This list is an absolute minimum standard required by the Owner/Landlord prior to the rental and at all times during the rental.
Furniture and furnishing regulations
Their must be at least, a fully fitted operational cooker in good working order (complete with a gas safety certificate if gas feed)
If you are furnishing your rented property, you must ensure that all furnishings comply with these regulations. 123let.com can give advice on which furniture items will be compliant, and all compliant furniture must display standard labels in a prominent position. This is to reduce the risk of fire within the property.
Electrical regulations & Fire Risk Assessment
You are required to ensure that any electrical devices within the property are safe for use. We recommend an Installation Survey or Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) so you can be sure you are compliant. A valid fire risk assessment must be completed on the property by a Competent person, this must be logged with us the Agent and a copy provided to the Tenants.
Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
Introduced as part of the Housing Act 2004, the HHSRS allows local authorities to assess the condition of the property and any potential hazards. The aim is to maintain good standards in the private rented sector. 123let.com can help you understand how this legislation may apply to your property.
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDSL)
Landlords and letting agents are required to register a tenant’s deposit with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. A Tenancy Deposit Scheme protects the tenant’s money and can help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy. 123let.com register deposits with a scheme such as “My Deposits”. We will handle the administration of the protection of the security deposit and provide your tenant with all the details of the scheme.
Energy Performance Certificate (EPCs)
An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC for short, is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. All landlords are required to purchase an EPC for a property before they let it. It is then to be displayed the EPC when advertise the property. If a property does not have an EPC when marketed, the landlord and the agent risk a fine. When you let a property through 123let.com will obtain an EPC for a small additional charge.
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
When you let to sharing occupants who are not a family group you will need to comply with rules around Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO).
123let.com Do NOT operate HMO Tenancies ONLY AST domestic agreements.
Income Tax
All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income, whether they live in the UK or are based overseas. Further information can be found on the Inland Revenue’s There are specific tax rules for overseas landlords, 123let.com can assist you in these areas.
HM Immigration Checks (Right to Rent checks)
From 1st February 2016 - All new AST (Assured Shorthand Tenancies) can only be permitted / written providing the Owner/Landlord has completed a satisfactory checks to ensure the persons living in the property have the right to rent the property. Failure to comply with tis law is unto £3000 fine and up to 6 months custodial sentence. 123let.com can and will complete these checks on your behalf to ensure you the landlord is Compliant with the Law. Any application which fails these checks will not be permitted to reside at the property under a 123let.com AST agreement. The cost for this new additional service is £60.00 per Applicant/Tenant chargeable to the Owner/Landlord ensuring he/she/they are compliant with the Law.